Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Literature off the Streets

Why Sometimes I Really Love my Job:

We get magazines from booksellers which advertise upcoming new releases. I look forward to this for one main reason … The new Street Lit releases.

For example:

Fool, Stop Trippin’
.
- “Discovering that a man she has been aggressively pursuing is already married, Tarcia uses her pregnancy as a ruthless tactic to reclaim what she has lost, while Sammie becomes increasingly subject to insecurities that threaten her chances at happiness. Original.”

Another …

Exorsistah.
- “Possessing supernatural powers that enable her to see demons, homeless teen Emme Vaughn reluctantly joins a ragamuffin team of exorcists under the guidance of a disgraced priest, an effort that is compromised by her lack of discipline and painful past. Original.”

And finally …

I Ain’t Sayin’ She’s a Gold Digger.
- “Kentia, a beautiful hustler with a taste for the finer things in life, becomes a victim herself, while Kirrah, a video vixen and gold-digger, learns a valuable lesson in playing the game, and Theori, working as a stripper to pay for college, discovers the high price of deception. Original.”

Hello run-on sentences!

I could go on and on with these because there are many, many priceless gems like these. Notice how they are all “original.” I’m not gonna lie though, Exorsistah looks like a page-turner, not to mention, quite original.

Just wait until I post some examples of the Street Lit marketed towards Young Adults. It's pretty fabulous ... or vomit-inducing depending on your sense of humor!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reading this really makes me believe I need to get a job at a library. Teaching was not my destiny, but I think that perhaps the library was. Coming across gems like that on a daily basis? I would love that, not to mention get quite a few good laughs out of my daily work.