You come across such gems when you weed your collection. You never know when lurking in a book, that has yet to be cracked open in 50 years, you can discover something unexpected ... like MOLD! (True Story!) You weed your collection to clear up some very expensive shelf space, to clear out any items no longer circulating, & to get rid of the books that are just falling apart.
This time I felt like pulling books proclaiming ancient scientific theories as "modern day facts." I didn't feel like the children should still quote these outdated theories. Sure, there may still be validity in their arguments but I'm not about to test every theory!! Thank goodness for predetermined weeding criteria!
This particular copyright date? 1982. It was as old as I am (Not that I am OLD). The Book? ...

Now, I don't have any children (I'm not complaining), but if I did, I don't think I'd want this book to be their "first book about space!" I mean, sure, I wouldn't mind the book being copy-written when I was first learning about space. That way we'd be on equal footing. There were none of these "Pluto, you are NOT a Planet!" moments. Pluto = Dwarf Planet? WTF is this nonsense now? Point being, 1982 is even too old to be MY first book about space. Because although my parents, bless their hearts, proclaim I was a genius baby, there was no way I've been self-educating since birth ... or even in utero.
Poor Pluto. I don't even know what you are anymore! I am however regretting not looking into this book. I'm amused with the question on the cover.
Besides books about the planets, dwarf or otherwise, I also spent some time in the cooking section. Pulled some book about the wondrous new time saving cooking device, the microwave. Luckily I also found this to pull ...
The cover just makes English food look extremely appetizing, doesn't it? Yum! Bread smothered in worcestershire sauce and cheese! What a match made in heaven! Not in the mood for something savory? Well, satisfy your sweet-tooth with this!

Yummy Summer Pudding! Don't you just want to sink your teeth into that? It looks like what I would imagine Watermelon Snow to look like actually! I don't think too many children would be sad about losing these items from our collection. Now if I had been able to toss the Stephenie and Michelle Tanner Full House tales like I wanted to, there would have been hell to pay! I kid you not.
This time I felt like pulling books proclaiming ancient scientific theories as "modern day facts." I didn't feel like the children should still quote these outdated theories. Sure, there may still be validity in their arguments but I'm not about to test every theory!! Thank goodness for predetermined weeding criteria!
This particular copyright date? 1982. It was as old as I am (Not that I am OLD). The Book? ...
Now, I don't have any children (I'm not complaining), but if I did, I don't think I'd want this book to be their "first book about space!" I mean, sure, I wouldn't mind the book being copy-written when I was first learning about space. That way we'd be on equal footing. There were none of these "Pluto, you are NOT a Planet!" moments. Pluto = Dwarf Planet? WTF is this nonsense now? Point being, 1982 is even too old to be MY first book about space. Because although my parents, bless their hearts, proclaim I was a genius baby, there was no way I've been self-educating since birth ... or even in utero.
Poor Pluto. I don't even know what you are anymore! I am however regretting not looking into this book. I'm amused with the question on the cover.Besides books about the planets, dwarf or otherwise, I also spent some time in the cooking section. Pulled some book about the wondrous new time saving cooking device, the microwave. Luckily I also found this to pull ...
The cover just makes English food look extremely appetizing, doesn't it? Yum! Bread smothered in worcestershire sauce and cheese! What a match made in heaven! Not in the mood for something savory? Well, satisfy your sweet-tooth with this!
Yummy Summer Pudding! Don't you just want to sink your teeth into that? It looks like what I would imagine Watermelon Snow to look like actually! I don't think too many children would be sad about losing these items from our collection. Now if I had been able to toss the Stephenie and Michelle Tanner Full House tales like I wanted to, there would have been hell to pay! I kid you not.

3 comments:
You make me want to work at a library. I could at least feel like I was making a difference by weeding shelves like you. Maybe I should think about changing professions again...
http://www.brmsstore.com/blogs/jennifer/images/20.jpg
LOL.. I'd still eat it!
Way to go on your first blog (on this blog site since we've had 5 millions blogs on other sites)!
p.s. It wouldnt let me use image html!!!
Janine, i think you should switch professions and become a librarian with me!! i basically just look up books all day lol. But it's fun weeding when you get to see all the old books that are still in the library.
Post a Comment